Best Forest School for Recycling 2019
Congratulations to FSA member, Amanda Greenaway, the Leader of St. George’s Forest School, Isle of Sheppey, Kent. Her Hobbit House project has gained a Green School Award for recycling.
All the materials for the structure were recycled, except for the roofing felt and screws
- Uprights and cross beams had been pergolas on the playground. They snapped at their bases in storm Caroline, December 2017.
- Chipboard for the roof were offcuts from house building and would have been burnt.
- Waney boards for the walls had been the base packing in the hold of a cargo ship.
- Wooden window frames were about to go into a skip.
- Hinges were found in the school’s maintenance store
On the inside …
- The antique wood burning stove was unwanted. It had been in a shed for years!
- The bespoke flue was donated.
- G-Plan table and chair were found at the council dump.
Amanda and the children would like to thank all those who donated their time and expertise to building this Hobbit House, which is so called because of the circular door!