Name of Organisation (Employer): The Hive
Position being advertised (Job title): Forest School Trainer
Closing date for applications : 20th December 2018
Salary (per week, month, year OR negociable, not applicable): £160 per day
Location (where is this job based?): London
Job categories (check all that apply): Forest School Trainer
Explain how applicants should contact you / apply: Please email a CV and short cover letter to email@example.com
Job description: Who we are
The Hive is a response to the growing disconnect from nature more and more children experience. This affects not only their wellbeing but their ability to care for the natural world and how they apply the skills they develop as they grow up to the environmental challenges we all face.
Our mission is to help children:
- Spend more time outdoors and in nature
- Develop sustainable values and behaviours
- Bridge the gap between forest school, critical skills & creativity
Based in London, The Hive delivers Accredited Forest School Training that focuses on innovative ways to engage pupils in Forest School, particularly in urban environments where access to outdoor space is constrained.
We provide Level 2 Forest School Assistant and Level 3 Forest School Leader training, as well as Forest School Taster Sessions and Forest School Inset Days for schools based in and around London.
Our Forest School Training programmes are accredited through National Awarding Organisation OCNWM, one of the most experienced Forest School Accreditation providers in the UK. We are also members of the Forest School Association, as well as the Institute of Outdoor Learning.
Please check our website for more information about our training offer: https://www.thehive-kids.com/london-forest-school-training/
The Hive has been delivering accredited Forest School training since the beginning of 2018. We currently have one Forest School trainer (Nikki McKnight) delivering all our training but due to increasing demand, particularly from schools, we’re looking for an enthusiastic trainer to join Nikki on a freelance basis.
Our accredited training programme and curriculum would be made available to you and The Hive would provide all training resources, including kit, tools and handouts.
The Hive would manage the full accreditation process with OCNWM, allowing you to focus 100% on training delivery. The role would particularly suit someone with a number of years of experience as a Forest School Leader who is considering moving into training but not quite ready to go it alone. Working at The Hive would provide you with full support and mentoring.
- Provide Forest School Leader (Level 3) Forest School Assistant (Level 2) training to small groups of students (maximum of 8 per cohort), using The Hive Curriculum and resources
- Deliver face-to-face training sessions for both Level 2 and Level 3
- Oversee portfolio development and provide remote support throughout the process
- Deliver assessment days for Level 3
- Oversee portfolio submission
Profile and Experience
- A minimum of 5 years of experience of leading the delivery of Forest School education to a broad range of groups, including schools and nurseries. You need to be able to demonstrate significant experience in this area
- We particularly welcome applications from ex-teachers. A lot of our clients are schools and teachers and they really value being trained by someone who understands the constraints faced by urban schools in delivering high quality Forest School
- A high energy and enthusiastic outlook with an instinctive understanding of how to motivate a group
- Proven ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Excellent organisational skills
- Punctuality is a must
- Level 3 or Level 4 Forest School Qualification
- valid DBS Certificate – this will be required PRIOR to job offer
- A valid Outdoor First Aid Certificate – this will be required PRIOR to job offer
The role will be primarily based at Stave Hill Ecology Park in South East London.
There will be instances however where training may be run at a client’s venue in London.
Stave Hill Ecological Park
Timber Pond Road
London SE16 6AX
Training days usually run from 9am to 4.30pm or 9.30am to 5pm, but this may differ slightly based on each particular client group.