Closing date for applications : 17th October 2013
Salary: £20,300 per annum
Location: Wrexham, North Wales
Job description: The Venture is an integrated children’s centre which was established in 1978 in response to extremely high youth crime and a lack of play facilities within Caia Park. During the last 35 years The Venture has grown into one of the UK’s leading local children’s charities and includes an adventure playground, early years centre, alternative learning programmes, mentoring scheme, sports, adult learning, outdoor pursuits and community events .
A position for a full time joiner/playworker has arisen. The candidate will have a qualification(s) relating to joinery and/or woodwork and have experience of construction and working as a joiner. The candidate must have a positive attitude towards working with children and young people. Some experience working with children and young people is desirable but not essential. The candidate must be willing to teach and facilitate play for children and young people. The candidate will also be expected to take responsibility for all health and safety checks on site and must either have experience of managing health and safety or be keen to learn. The candidate must have strong communication and interpersonal skills and be able to work on their own initiative as well as following directions.
LOCATION: The Venture, Garner Road, Wrexham. LL13 8SF
RESPONSIBLE TO: Venture Board of Directors via Chief Officer
FACTOR ESSENTIAL DESIRABLE EDUCATION/TRAINING
Qualification in joinery/ woodwork/ construction. Other related professional or practical qualifications.
Sports orientated, Outdoor pursuits and associated qualifications.
Qualifications associated with teaching or adult learning.
Qualifications associated with children and young people.
Evidence of at least 2 years experience working in construction/ woodwork/ joinery. Experience of working in a variety of youth and community work, educational or play work settings.
Experience in managing a small staff team.
Experience of managing health and safety responsibilities. SKILLS/ABILITIES Ability to build, adapt and renew play structures, involving children, young people and other adults wherever possible, including their design and construction
Ability to relate to children, young people and their parents, providing a positive role model. Effective communication skills.
Ability to apply training to practical work.
Knowledge of appropriate tools, equipment and health and safety considerations for joinery.
Knowledge of construction techniques with wood. Broad range of skills and interests.
Knowledge of the local area.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES Commitment to equal opportunities and anti discriminatory practices, as described in the Venture’s Equal Opportunities Policy. OTHER REQUIREMENTS Ability to work on own initiative also as part of a team.
Commitment to the overall aim of the Venture to enable service users to realise their full potential as individuals and as members of their community.
Ability and interest in developing activities and projects to ensure the highest quality of service possible is delivered . Current Driving License and experience of driving mini-buses and trailers.
Job Purpose: a) To work as a joiner (often with young people), constructing new play structures on the adventure playground. b) To teach young people basic skills in joinery as part of an alternative learning programme c) To work as part of a staff team to facilitate a rich play environment within an adventure playground setting.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Health and Safety – Ensure that all Venture premises, site and equipment are safe and fit for use. Ensure Venture H & S policy is complied with and that trustees, staff, students, volunteers and visitors are informed and engaged in securing its outcomes.
2. Teach woodwork skills to children and young people and communicate the pleasure of working with wood. Maximise the potential qualifications to be gained for each participant.
3. Build, adapt and renew play structures, involving children, young people and other adults wherever possible, including their design and construction. Keep materials, tools and equipment stocked and stored appropriately.
4. Ensure necessary maintenance and repairs are carried out, within agreed budgets, to the adventure playground and buildings, including the appointment of outside contractors.
5. As a member of the play/youth work team, you are required to work face to face on the playground as per the playground rota, supporting others operationally; engage in planning, training and reflective practice.
6. Supervise, in relevant circumstances and as directed, part-time or sessional staff, trainees, volunteers and young people.
7. Encourage children and young people to be involved in the planning and organisation of activities, the construction of their individual mentoring plans and the programme of activities for the projects.
8. Work alongside the staff team to provide play opportunities on The Venture’s adventure playground in accordance with the playwork principles
9. Engage and comply with all relevant aspects of the Venture’s monitoring, evaluation and financial systems.
10. Ensure that any premises and equipment are left clean and tidy after use on a daily basis.
11. Attend and prepare for all meetings relating to the Venture, as required to do so, including weekly staff meetings, supervision, training sessions and outside bodies.
12. Give particular regard to, and follow at all times the Venture’s health and safety policies and procedures, having understood his/her overriding duty to the health and safety of all children, young people and adults involved with the Venture.
13. Be responsible for helping to organise / run annual special events and activities including any residential weekends or camps.
14. To undertake other duties from time to time as directed by the chief officer or other senior staff.
Explain how applicants should contact you / apply: email email@example.com or ring 01978 355 761