Name of Employer: Into The Woods Outdoor Nursery
Job Title: Deputy Manager – Maternity Cover – min 6 months contract
Closing Date: 5 December 2019
Salary: Full time £26,000–£28,000; Part time (4 days) £20,800–£22,400;
Location: Hampstead, North London
How to Apply: for an application form, visit www.intothewoodsnursery.co.uk/work-with-us.html
Job Description: DEPUTY NURSERY MANAGER VACANCY – STARTING DATE APPROX. 1 FEB 2020 – MATERNITY COVER – MINIMUM 6 MONTH CONTRACT
At Into The Woods we are passionate about outdoor learning and play, and the positive effect it has on children. Our very successful Highgate nursery has been open for 4 years, and was the first full time, fully outdoor nursery in London. Our Kenwood nursery has now been open for a year and a half and is flourishing. We are looking for an outstanding deputy manager (temporary – to cover maternity leave) who will ensure the continued success of this setting.
As deputy nursery manager you will need to embody the ethos of Into The Woods. You will be the person responsible for ensuring that this ethos is evident every day to the children, staff and parents and that it governs the actions and decision making of all the staff at the nursery. With the manager, you will be responsible for making sure that the Into The Woods approach is followed and that standards in all areas are maintained.
This is a very hands-on role. As deputy manager, you will be with the children most of the time – you\’ll have your own group of key children and be working alongside the nursery practitioners. Your main area of responsibility will be the curriculum – ensuring all areas of the EYFS are covered through our unique approach.
Other responsibilities of the role:
- To show a passion for outdoor learning and an ability to inspire others through your passion.
- To be able to develop the team\’s understanding of child development and ways in which children learn.
- To be able to support children\’s development in all areas.
- To be an inspiring leader of a team of outdoor nursery practitioners in accordance with all of our policies
- To carry out supervision of staff to ensure they are supported and their practice is developed.
- To ensure staff maintain the high standards expected of a practitioner at ITW and consistently follow the ethos and approach of the nursery, and address any concerns around staff performance..
- To ensure a child-centred ethos in which the children are respected at all times and their experience at the nursery is considered daily
- To ensure children are learning through play and having fun.
- To keep the children\’s safety at the nursery your primary concern.
- To develop good partnerships with parents.
- To be the designated child protection officer for the Kenwood nursery and to quickly act on any safeguarding or child protection concerns.
Person Specification:: You need to have a good knowledge of the EYFS and have had experience planning creatively, and observing and assessing children using the Development Matters criteria.
This is a very responsible role, managing staff and ensuring quality of care and safety of the children at the nursery. So applicants must have a combination of relevant qualifications and experience that has prepared them to work at this level. Our ideal person would be somebody with a real passion for outdoor learning. It will be someone who has had some experience teaching outdoors and can articulate the benefits for children to parents and staff.
The deputy manager will need to be have bags of positivity and be kind and caring towards the children, parents and staff alike. And they\’ll need to be resilient so they bring that positivity with them to work every day, and help create the right atmosphere in the nursery and inspire others to do the same.
Preferably, our person will have had experience managing and inspiring others. They will have the desire and the commitment to make the nursery something to be proud of.
Any Other Information: TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- The nursery operates during Haringey term times only
- The deputy manager\’s position is full time Monday–Friday or 4 days per week.
- The core working hours at the nursery are 8.00am–4.30pm. The actual start time will be 8.00am on 2–3 days per week and 8.30am on the other days.
- The deputy manager will work alongside the nursery practitioners for most of the week, and will have with their own group of children, and their own key children to care for and carry out observations and assessments on.
- The deputy manager will work under the supervision of the manager.
- The deputy manager will have half a day of non-contact time per week to carry out managerial duties.
- As this is a managerial role, there will be work to be done outside of the core working hours, taking care of managerial and administrative duties, as well as completing assessments. We anticipate 3-4 hours of additional work per week.
Holidays: Haringey school holidays, as we operate in term times only, which adds up to 13 weeks per year (including public holidays). Staff are not allowed to take holidays during term times.